The recent pandemic, economic instability, and immense software dependency are all driving enterprises to evolve with the latest innovations and adapt to the changes to stay ahead. Enterprises that adapt to these new innovations have a much higher chance to move forward and deliver services quickly and continuously. With the high demand in digital transformations, it is imperative to react to market-changing conditions while keeping a strong focus on customer experience.
This is why automation is at the core of being adaptive!
While test automation is not something that is considered to be brand new, the past automation approaches have not helped enterprise application development services to keep up with the increased demands of modern delivery. With the continuous deployment and updates in applications every day, the test automation phase is expected to give faster results in the agile industry. By using agile and scalable methodologies, multiple iterations with less time to perform test automation are possible. This is where Scriptless Test Automation plays a pivotal role, but before stepping into the world of scriptless, let’s understand what test automation really is!
What is Test automation?
Test automation is the method of running tests automatically, maintaining test data, and analyzing results to improve software quality. It’s basically a software/application quality assurance measure that actively involves the commitment of the entire software testing and production team.
Benefits of Test Automation
- Decrease Costs – Test Automation provides savings on product development costs by eliminating the manual efforts involved in test script creation, test maintenance, and test execution.
- Increase Quality – 100% test scenario/flow coverage is achieved to ensure the API product suite under test is delivered with higher quality and far fewer defects.
- Increase Velocity and Predictability – Test Automation services are capable of dynamically adapting to product updates by implementing a more comprehensive mapping of business flows and their tests.
- Modular Solution – The architecture of the Test Automation services is designed in a way that each component is modular and independent.
What is Scriptless Test Automation?
Scriptless Test Automation introduces an approach that would help QA teams or developers to create the automated tests in a simple, understandable, and user-friendly manner. As we all know, Testing would require technical experience and understanding, but the scriptless automation would completely reduce coding, thus allowing even non-technical staff to create automated tests. The principal purpose consequently is to overcome the testing efforts of QA teams and increase the efficiency of automation testers.
Since the scriptless test automation does not depend on coding or programming expertise in any manner; the test cases are automated, focused, structured, and customizable. The data to this solution incorporate design documentation captured in Swagger, WSDL, etc. which are accessible as elements of standard product development models. These inputs serve as an individual trigger feature for the solution to operate.
This strategy completely automates the test case configuration and test execution phase, thus overcoming the traditional effort, and improves the entire test coverage for the software. Moreover, the data or information gathered from this testing methodology is examined to create models and clusters which helps refine the test design and execution components in future use cases.
Facts About Scriptless Test Automation
Scriptless Is Different from Record and Playback
With the scriptless test automation strategy, any tester or RPA analyst can leverage the already accessible model or reusable scripts and develop new test scripts. These existing models are rendered by the tool/custom framework, and also in some cases, the technical experts can design these models. Test data can be managed separately, and locators can be implemented in a way that they are dynamic and relative and can recognize the objects with even minor changes to the UI.
Sometimes Scripts Will Be Necessary For Scriptless
Scriptless automation is the ability presented by tools/custom frameworks using which we can automatically generate scripts. These scripts can be reused across multiple use cases, tools, applications, technologies, platforms, etc. But whenever there is a situation where none of the automatically generated scripts can perform a custom test as required by the client, the automation expert would have to provide the custom script to achieve it.
Therefore, in case of custom demands, the experts will have to build a library of manageable yet reusable scripts that can be seamlessly used by functional experts, allowing them to quickly automate tests without any additional scripting.
Automation Experts Are Still Required
Even though scriptless test automation assists manual testers to automate test cases efficiently, automation experts and QA Teams are still needed to prioritize tests. With manual resources, the testing agency will have to analyze what all can be automated, provide strategies for object identification, and extend the scriptless framework by writing custom keywords.
Features of Scriptless Framework
Ease of use: Scriptless framework provides a collection of reusable modules that would allow any non-technical staff to utilize them and develop an automated script. These frameworks focus on being scalable and lower maintenance strategies in a period of demanding business requirements, evolving demands, and changing technology interfaces and users.
Build and use reusable components: A scriptless user should be able to combine multiple components and develop a new reusable script that could be used in various test scenarios.
Effective and flexible reporting mechanisms: The test analysis reports will be easy to comprehend because it provides detailed steps that were executed, the different test data that were applied, and especially, screenshots of failed steps.
Cross-browser testing: The scripts are designed by using a scriptless framework that will function on any of the popular browsers. A tester who has the application scripted with Chrome should be able to administer it on Firefox or Internet Explorer with minor changes in run settings.
Benefits of Scriptless Coding:
The Multiple Benefits of Scriptless Coding for Enterprises:
- The automated procedures and information implemented for every step in a Scriptless Test Automation will be in a very easily understandable format as English-like keywords will be applied to define the test steps. This will help non-testers or even employees with no technical knowledge, understand the procedures effortlessly.
- Automating test cases becomes more comfortable and more relaxed as code will not be written to automate the steps. It will completely avoid confusions or obstacles that manual testers face during testing.
- Configuration of tests can be seamlessly done with the new addition of client demands. As scriptless makes test automation assets easy to reconfigure for different requirements with minimum alterations.
- Building and managing complex tests for large-scale applications/software is more manageable with the use of easily understandable keywords and predefined custom modules.
- With scriptless test automation, the quality analysis teams can reduce up to 50% of the traditional test automation requirements and the work efficiency of testers can also be significantly enhanced
- Test engineers with no prior testing expertise or QA teams with little to no technical knowledge can now conduct test automation or review automated tests.
- Testers and QA teams can now focus predominantly on analyzing test results, identifying bugs, and concentrating on business areas/functional aspects. As they will not have to create test scripts, which would otherwise consume a majority of time in traditional test automation.
Scriptless Test Automation is not only scalable for agile projects but has many other benefits that range from cost-saving to on-time application deployment. From what we read, we can say that one of the major benefits is that it lets non-technical resources and QA teams automate tests with no coding background. Scriptless Test Automation provides them an innovative and easily approachable platform that ensures efficient, reliable, and quality automation.
With the recent progressions in technology, enterprises can deliver efficient solutions/products/applications to clients by creating a well-designed, scriptless framework. Such scriptless frameworks will also allow these enterprises to effectively change workflows, develop custom scripts and data while being in complete command of the influence on overall automation.