Lorex is a decades-old security technology firm that offers top-of-the-line, professional-grade security systems for homes, bigger properties, workplaces, and enterprises. We were intrigued by the Lorex Camera 4K Ultra HD 8-Channel Security System, which contained a high-end video Lorex camera, and decided to test it out. Here’s what we had to say!
Lorex Camera Review:
Of course, writing about a lorex camera’s video and audio doesn’t do it justice. As a result, we created a video review of the Lorex 4K camera system, highlighting its video display throughout the day and night, as well as its audio, smart platform connections, and other features. Check out lorex camera system, which shoots in 2K rather than 4K.
The Start of Our Process
By the end of this year, the smart home security industry is estimated to have grown to $4.37 billion, which is more than double the projected market size in 2018. And, with the ever-increasing number of smart security systems on the market, deciding which one is right for you can be difficult.
So, how did we track down lorex camera? Lorex’s main page included a lot of security system options, which is why we were a little overwhelmed straight away. However, we got our bearings and found the “Beginner’s Guide To Lorex” in the middle of the page, which was very helpful. We recommend starting there.
Lorex is always running deals, so we went with the bargain of the day, which was the 4K Ultra HD 8-Channel security system at the time of our purchase. This bargain is updated on a daily basis, so keep an eye on it while you browse their website. Finally, we chose to buy directly from Lorex’s website, which was really simple. Because the system we bought was in stock, it was shipped out the next business day and arrived a week later.
When we received our delivery, we quickly opened it to find the following items:
- A hard drive with a capacity of one terabyte
- Four 4K cameras were used.
- Four BNC cables, each measuring 60 feet,
- There are four mounting kits available.
- There are a total of five power adapters.
- Ethernet cable (one)
- A single HDMI cable
- A single mouse
- A single security sticker
We took it out of the box and put it to the test, and here’s what we thought of the system’s features. With a one-terabyte hard drive, you can store a lot of data. Our system came with a single primary hard drive that was connected to all four cameras and held all of our video information. The one TB hard drive could hold about 500 hours of video, or 250 full-length movies, which was more than adequate for our needs.
We did, however, have the option of upgrading the hard drive or adding extra drives. But, as we all know, improvements come at a cost, and that was the case in this situation: the larger the hard drive, the higher the price. On our lorex camera price page, you can learn more about component costs.
Video in 4K
The video quality of security cameras is typically 1080p HD, which is what businesses like ADT and Nest provide. The 4K Ultra HD 8-Channel Security System has the greatest video quality we’ve seen from a smart security camera to date, and that’s what we received with it.
What exactly did that imply for us?
Well, footage that wasn’t grainy was one of our top requirements in a security system, and these lorex 4K cameras checked that box with excellent video. Also, because our cameras could zoom in on anything down the street without compromising video quality, we could see things that were pretty far away. In conclusion, you can expect incredibly great video footage from these Lorex cameras, which have around double the number of pixels as 1080p HD.
Lorex Camera Features
There was no way to make these security cameras blend in with the rest of our house. While this didn’t concern us, it’s worth noting that the cameras were rather substantial in design; imagine street corner or storefront cameras. On the other hand, the cameras were able to work in temperatures that ranged from -40 degrees Fahrenheit all the way up to 131 degrees Fahrenheit.
They could basically work in the coldest winters and the hottest summers, which was a terrific advantage for us because we needed eyes on our entire property all year. We never have to worry about taking the cameras indoors, even when it’s raining or snowing, because they’re entirely dust-and water-proof. When we first acquired our system, we used our power washer to test this feature. It performed admirably, much to our delight!
Other qualities of the cameras that we liked were:
- Smart Home Integration: Our security system was Alexa and Google Assistant compatible. This meant we could use voice commands to manage our security system. On our smart TV, we were also able to turn on the camera and watch live or recorded footage. The security system was also compatible with Apple TV, which could be connected to any type of television for individuals without a smart TV. However, before we could use a smart TV or Apple TV, we needed to download the Lorex Secure App, which is available for free on the Apple and Google Play stores. The night vision on these cameras was incredible, and we were able to see clearly outside at all times. We were able to see the branch outside our house as the sun went down thanks to the camera’s colour night vision.
- The strong image sensor: incorporated with the cameras made this feasible. But it’s worth noting that this feature requires the system to be set up near ambient light, so we pointed one of our cameras at a street light. The infrared LED lights around the lens kicked in if there was no ambient light, allowing an automated change to black and white illumination. Because many systems, such as SimpliSafe, only offer black and white night video, being able to clearly observe in colour or black and white was a unique feature.
- Storage: We loved having the option of storing video on a hard disc as well as on the cloud. Up to 10 GB of video was included in the free cloud storage plan, which is approximately two days’ worth of rolling recording. It can last around a week when configured to record only motions. If it wasn’t enough storage the premium plan offered unlimited cloud storage for an additional $35 per year.
- That is rather standard:Arlo, for example, costs anything from $35 to $180 per year, depending on the system and the amount of cloud storage the customer desires.
- Motion Detection: Lorex provided RapidRecap, which was a simple technique to locate motion from the camera. This was essentially our event history condensed into a quick and easy time-stamped film. The fact that Lorex supplied RapidRecap made sifting through cloud history a breeze and saved us a tonne of time when we needed to find specific activity within recordings, such as when a buddy from out of town unexpectedly showed up on our doorstep.
Installation was difficult and time-consuming, but not impossible. A number of different cameras, as well as a digital video recorder (DVR), needed to be installed near our router. We also had to make sure the lengthy wires were connected at all times in order for things to operate. To lessen the chance of tripping and keep the cables out of our way, we used tape to tack them up on the ceiling.
We required a drill, a screwdriver, and a ladder to install the system. We still had a few questions regarding how to connect our system to the app after reading the instruction booklet, so we called customer care. We also had the option of live chat with a Lorex customer care representative on the Lorex website, but we thought it would take too much time.
We were hoping that our representative would respond to our questions, but we didn’t receive the level of service we expected. We spoke with a person who was brief and uninterested in assisting us. Even though he helped us set up our system, it wasn’t the most professional thing we’ve ever done.
The Lorex App for Security
Because our Lorex system was self-monitored, a good app was essential for seeing our livestream and receiving notifications. The Lorex app worked on all platforms, which was ideal because our household had both Apple and Android devices. After we downloaded the app, we got push notifications, saw live and recorded footage, and grouped cameras together. We also got to choose which cameras to use.
For example, we combined our exterior front and rear cameras together, allowing us to broadcast from many cameras at the same time. When live broadcasting, this made self-monitoring a breeze because we could keep our eyes on various locations at the same time. You Should Know: The mere appearance of security cameras may deter an attacker, so make sure they’re visible.
Let’s talk about Pricing
We’ve all heard the phrase “you get what you pay for,” and Lorex is no exception. There is a broad range of pricing due to the large diversity of systems. Our system was $387.99 on sale, although it typically costs $699.99. Lorex had no necessary monthly cost, which was one of our favourite features.
While the first expenditure may appear to be a huge sum of money all at once, many other security businesses need long-term contracts and monthly fees once the original equipment expenses have been paid. Lorex, on the other hand, was done once we paid for the product. Of course, it wouldn’t be the case if we paid the extra $3.49 a month for unlimited cloud storage, but we didn’t. Lorex offers the widest range of equipment solutions on the market.
Is it safe to use Lorex cameras?
Lorex cameras are safe since all video is saved locally on a hard drive rather than on the cloud. Your system will be safe as long as you update your administrator password on a regular basis and establish lengthy, difficult, and unique passwords each time. Also, make sure you update your firmware as soon as possible.
Lorex was an excellent choice for us. We liked the quality of the video and the fact that there were no long-term contracts or monthly payments. For someone who lives in a gated community, an apartment with a doorman, or somewhere else with extra security measures, this system is good. There is no professional monitoring option with this system, though.
Otherwise, you could find yourself in a scenario where you can’t contact the cops for any reason, but lorex camera is an excellent choice for those wishing to avoid monthly expenses.
thank you for this fabulous information to know more about lorex secure app