iPhones are the only product category whose value remains intact even years after being launched. iPhone 11 was launched in 2019 and is still being bought by people. Forget iPhone 11; people are even buying iPhone 7 in some parts of the world. So why is this happening?
This is because Apple provides excellent hardware and software support for its phones, and hence people buy them. The same thing cannot be said for similarly priced Android phones. So is it worth it to buy an older iPhone in 2022, considering you can get some affordable flagships at this price? Well, that depends upon your expectations from a phone.
- First of all, if you are a hardcore gamer, then you should not buy older iPhones like 11. Instead, you should go for iPhone 13 or if your budget is lower, go for iPhone 12.
- If you are looking to buy a phone for media consumption, then you can try out the iPhone 12 onwards since they have a retina OLED display. Not that the display on the iPhone 11 is wrong. Instead, the display on iPhone 11 is the best IPS LED globally. But it’s an IPS, not an OLED.
- iPhones are not for you if you are looking for a device that will give you almost two days of battery backup on a single charge.
- If you are someone who needs a phone with the best camera features and natural portraits, then iPhones are for you.
- If you are someone who needs a safe and secure user experience with fewer chances of it getting hacked, then iPhones are for you.
- The IPhones are for you if you need a bug-free device with a smooth operating system.
So now that you know what to expect from iPhones, let us now see the different models and which models should be brought by whom:
- iPhone 11: Apple released their iPhone 11 in September 2019 with iOS version 13. It has since been updated to iOS version 15.4.1. The iPhone 11 also has the biggest battery in an iPhone at 3110 mAh, and with light to moderate usage, it should last for a day. The phone is also IP68 rated for up to 2m water and 30 minutes. The chipset here was the fastest at that time and still is capable enough to handle every game and app in the App store. The camera setup was a dual-sensor type with each of the 12 mp, and the selfie camera is true tone enabled too. The quality of the pictures has improved significantly, and it still is better than some mid-range Android phones, even in 2022. Also, this is the last iPhone to have the charger included in the box since from iPhone 12 onwards; Apple has decided to remove the charger due to increased e-waste concerns.
- iPhone 12: iPhone 12 was the most anticipated phone of 2020 and was launched amidst the first wave of Covid-19. This was also the first 5G smartphone launched by Apple, and it became an instant hit at that time. This phone was made with a special ceramic glass shield which Apple claims are four times tougher than similar glass protection available on the market. The cameras were the same as iPhone 11 but with improved aperture and processing speeds. The new A14 Bionic chipset was about 50 per cent faster than A13 in the iPhone 11 and also came with an improved neural engine. So AR tasks and other Ai based tasks could now be done more quickly. The notch design remained the same, but the area that houses the true depth sensors were shrunk a bit to make more room for the camera sensor that was now wide-angled. You can buy the iPhone 12 in 2022 and continue to use it for at least five more years without any worry of slowdown or lag.
- iPhone 13: The iPhone 13 is the latest iteration of iPhones, and it sports an XDR retina display with HDR 10 and Dolby vision certification. The peak brightness stands at 1200 nits, and outdoor visibility is greatly enhanced thanks primarily to true tone colors and the vibrant display. The chipset is currently the world’s fastest chip and is built using a 5nm process. Although the cameras are exactly the same, their processing ISP has changed, and the front camera now sports a 3D depth of field support too. The battery capacity is also significantly improved than iPhone 12 at 3240 mAh. This is the best iPhone that money can buy, so if you want all the bells and whistles that Apple is offering, go with this; otherwise, the iPhone 12 can also suffice for daily needs.
iPhones have always been a device that almost all users want but do not always buy. There are a lot of compelling cases to buy an iPhone, but somehow users feel that they have to make a compromise when switching from Android to iPhone. You can also choose to buy wholesale iPhones online for a bargain in case you are looking to start a reselling business. Yes, there are compromises like your WhatsApp backup can’t be carried over and others, but once you are buying an Apple device, you are essentially buying into an ecosystem, so keep that in mind.