Lost important data files? Mistakenly deleted files while using the SHIFT + Delete shortcut? Do not worry, we all have been there. Accidentally deleting files is a common experience that many people have gone through. Though losing your data and files seems scary, they can easily be recovered as well. In this article, you will learn about different methods of recovering deleted files on Windows10 with and without software.
So, let’s get started with the first simple method to recover files, Recycle Bin
Recover Deleted Files using Recycle Bin
Recycle Bin is a wonderful application that is already on your computer. When you normally delete a file, it is not deleted completed and the process can be reversed easily. Deleted files are sent to the Recycle Bin and can be recovered from there,
Follow these steps to recover deleted files from your Recycle Bin:
- Open the Recycle Bin on your PC by right-clicking on the icon or clicking on it from the menu.
- Here, you can view all the deleted files. Search for the file you want to recover.
- Select the files you want to recover. You can search for specific filenames as well.
- After you are done selecting the files, choose the ‘Restore’ option and your files will be recovered at the original location.
This method works for files that are deleted normally. If files are deleted by any other methods except the right-clicking and pressing delete, you will not find them in Recycle Bin.
If this doesn’t work for you, try the other methods shared on this post.
Recover Deleted Files using Windows File Recovery
Microsoft has developed its own recovery software for Windows. Windows File Recovery is available on the Microsoft store for free. It is a command-line app that can restore files you are not able to find anymore.
Warning: If you have lost files on your computer, then stop using it or reduce your usage.
This is because when files are deleted, a free space is created of the same size as the file for future recovery purposes. If you continue using the computer that free space might get occupied and you won’t be able to recover the deleted file.
Steps to recover deleted files using Windows File Recovery:
- Download Windows File Recovery from Microsoft Store on your computer. After downloading, press the Windows key and search for Windows File Recovery. Launch the application.
- In the command prompt menu, enter the following code:
winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/mode] [/switches]
- This app has two modes available: Regular and Extensive
In recover mode, your document folder is recovered from C: drive to the E: drive by entering the following code:
Winfr C: E: /regular /n \Users\<username>\Documents\
You can also recover PDF and Word files using another code:
Winfr C: E: /regular /n *.pdf /n *.docx
In extensive mode, you can recover jpeg and png file types from your Pictures folder to E: drive by entering the following code:
Winfr C: E: /extensive /n \Users\<username>\Pictures\*.JPEG /n\Users\<username>\Pictures\*.PNG
Note: Source and Destination should be different.
- When prompted for confirmation, enter Y and the data recovery process should begin now.
By using Windows File Recovery, you can easily recover deleted data as long as you have free space in your computer.
Recover Deleted Files using data recovery software
Nowadays, you will find much amazing third-party data recovery software available online. Recovering Files has become an easy task for anyone. You do not need any technical expertise or knowledge. This data recovery software is self-explanatory and guides users throughout the process.
There are both free and paid data recovery software available such as EaseUS or Dr. Fone. You should always try the trial version before you buy any paid software to make sure that it is working for you. You can search for free software by googling for data recovery software free download. Try the free versions and see if they work for you or not. Every software has its own installation manual and user guide on its official website.
Recover Deleted files using Restore Previous Versions Feature
Windows comes with a neat feature that lets your recover deleted files by switching to an old version of your storage drive. This method would only work if you have a previous version of your drive. You can still try and check whether you have it or not
Follow these steps to recover files using Restore Previous Versions feature
- Go to the Start Menu and search for “System Protection” and hit enter.
- After opening the System Protection tab, select a hard drive under “Protection Settings” and click Configure.
- Under “Restore Settings”, choose Turn on System Protection and apply and click Ok.
- Now, your system protection is enabled and you will be able to restore previous versions. Now, go to the folder where you lost your file and right-click on it. Head over to the “Previous Versions” Tab. Here, you will be able to restore to previous versions and recover deleted files.
Losing important data files can easily cause us to panic but thanks to modern software, now we can easily recover deleted data. As the data, you delete is never permanently deleted unless you move some other file in its location and fill the space Recovering data is a lot easier in Windows since it already comes with features for data recovery. We hope you can recover your deleted files using the methods in this post. Have a nice day!